Skip to main content

McKinney-Vento - Homeless Education Assistance Information

Information for Parents

If your family lives in any of the following situation:

     * In a shelter, motel, vehicle, or campground

     * On the street

     * In an abandoned building, trailer, or other inadequate accommodations

     * In shared housing with friends or relatives because you cannot afford housing


The McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act provides protections for your preschool-aged and school-aged children.


Your children can:

     * Go to school, no matter where you live or how long you have lived there.

     * Continue in the school they attended when you became homeless, if feasible.  If a school with a written explanation, and you have the

        right to appeal the decision.

     * Receive transportation to the school they attended before your family became homeless or the school they last attended, if you or a

        guardian requests such transportation.

     * Enroll in school without giving a permanent address.  Schools cannot require a proof of residency that might prevent or delay school


     * Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for the transfer of school and immunization records or any other documents

        required for enrollment.

     * Receive special programs and services, if needed.


When you move, you should do the following:


     * Contact your school district's local liaison for homeless education for help in  enrolling your child in a new school or arranging for your

        child to continue in his or her former school.

     * Contact the school and provide any information you may think will assist the teachers in helping your child adjust to new circumstances.

     * Ask the local for homeless education for assistance with required school clothing (e.g. P.E. clothing) and supplies, if needed.


For further assistance, please contact:


Angie Lind, Senior Director

Curriculum, Instruction and Accountability

El Dorado County Office of Education

(530) 295-2306




MV Spanish